"Compare scooter and moped insurance quotes"

Compare quotes from a panel of leading insurers to find a great price

Insure your scooter with one of the insurers on the panel.

No.1 for Comparing
Scooter and Moped Insurance

About Scoot Scoot

You’ll have access to the leading providers in the UK. That means you can get a quick, independent quote to insure your scooter or moped in next to no time. Simply complete the online form, giving a few personal details and some information about the scooter you want to insure and based on the information you provide, you’ll be presented with a range of quotes to choose from. At Scoot Scoot, we like to keep things simple and so we make it as straightforward as possible for you to find the best quote to insure your scooter. We’ve done all the hard work for you so you don’t have to spend time contacting numerous providers yourself, filling in long and detailed forms every time, and then waiting to get a reply. Simply enter your details once on our online form and in a matter of minutes you’ll be able to compare from all the leading providers in the UK. Thousands of customers have saved themselves both time and money by using Scoot Scoot.

Do you need scooter insurance?

When it comes to a cheap and practical means of getting around, a scooter or moped is hard to beat. Easy to handle and fun to ride, the added appeal of scooters is that they’re also cheaper to buy, have lower maintenance costs, are kinder to the environment than cars. Scooters also cost less to tax and insure than virtually any other type of motorised vehicle. Most 50cc scooters or mopeds can also be legally ridden on UK roads (excluding motorways) from the age of 16. You will require L plates to be displayed at all times until the rider has completed a practical and theory test when they turn 17. You can also ride a 125cc scooter without passing your test as long as you have a provisional licence, or Compulsory Basic Training (CBT). Continuous Enforcement (CIE) regulations state that any vehicle which has not been declared off the road by the DVLA must have cover. You are legally required to both tax and insure the vehicle before you can ride it. There are no exceptions, so if you’re planning to buy a scooter or moped, you need to arrange cover before you can take it out on the road. Being caught riding without valid cover can have serious consequences and as well having to pay a fine you could have your scooter confiscated. You could even end up with a criminal record.

What kind of scooter insurance do you need?

There are three types of cover to choose from and the price will vary depending on which level of cover you go for. It is important to remember that the cheapest option isn’t always the best one, especially if it doesn’t provide you with all the cover you need. So what are the three types?

  • Third party: this is the minimum level of cover required by law. If you’re involved in an accident, this will cover damage to the third party, their vehicle or property. It doesn’t cover your own costs. Third party is the cheapest option. If your scooter is damaged you’ll have to pay for any necessary repairs or replacement out of your own pocket.
  • Third party fire and theft: this level of cover offers some additional protection to the policy above and will cover you if your scooter is stolen or damaged in a fire.
  • Comprehensive: as the name suggests, this is the most complete level of protection. In addition to the policies above, you’ll be covered for any damages to your scooter and any injuries in an accident. This policy, which is likely to be the most expensive of the three, gives you total peace of mind, no matter what happens.

Get a quote with Scoot Scoot

Use our independent and impartial comparison service site to compare quotes for you. Search 34 insurers to find the best scooter and moped insurance deals available in the UK – saving you time and money in the process!

Choose the scooter that’s right for you

If you’re planning to use your scooter for commuting in an urban setting, you’re unlikely to need maximum engine capacity. A 125cc scooter will be more economical to run, as well as to insure. High performance scooters cost more to insure because insurers know that claims are more likely, as well as more costly.

Always ride safely

It goes without saying that you should always ride safely for your own sake and out of consideration for other road users. How you ride can also affect your premium. If you have previous riding convictions you may need to pay more.

No Claims Discount

You can earn attractive discounts if you have zero claims on your policy. The longer you’ve gone without making a claim, the greater this discount can be. This can add up to huge savings on your premium. It’s definitely worth bearing this in mind before making a claim if you have a minor accident with your scooter. Paying for the damage yourself may be the better option, rather than losing a no claims discount.

Add security to your scooter

Where you keep or park your scooter when not in use can affect your premium. If possible keep it in a locked garage or shed rather than on the street. You can minimise the risk of being stolen by fitting an alarm, locks, chains, immobiliser and security markings. The more secure your scooter, the less chance it has of been stolen or vandalised, decreasing the need to make a claim.

Moped insurance

No matter what make or model of moped you ride you can find a great deal on moped insurance using the Scoot Scoot site. We allow you to search the market for some of the best deals available!

Perhaps you’re thinking about buying your first moped and want to factor in annual costs. Maybe you already own a moped and your existing policy is coming up for renewal. Whatever the reason, we’ll help you find the type of moped insurance policy that is designed to meet your specific requirements. Harley Davidson motorcycle insurance, Lexmoto Insurance, Aprilia bike insurance and Lambretta Insurance along with other well know brands are likely to be more expensive because of higher replacement and repair costs. Despite this we’ve helped lots of customers find great rates for these and other models.

Getting a moped insurance quote only takes a few minutes. If you need some help or prefer to do it by phone, we’ll be happy to help. Simply provide information about yourself, details of the make and model of the moped, and the type of policy. Submit your quote and compare prices.

How to reduce the cost of your scooter insurance

When working out premiums, insurers take into account factors such as age, where you live and occupation. You can’t do anything about your age and are unlikely to move to another area or change jobs just to save a few pounds. But there are a number of things you can do to help bring down the overall premium without compromising on your protection. Here are our top tips.

Increase you excess

All polices come with a compulsory excess, which is the amount you pay towards any claim. You have the option of increasing your voluntary excess to reduce the overall cost. This can rule out claims for minor damages or costs, so weigh up the pros and cons carefully first.

Work or pleasure?

If you use your scooter for getting to and from work on a daily basis, or use it for business purposes ( doing deliveries etc.) you can expect to pay a higher annual premium than if you only ride the scooter occasionally. It will usually be cheaper to insure a scooter if it’s for recreational use only.

Decrease your annual mileage

Insurers take into account your estimated annual mileage when working out your premium. It is important to be completely honest about the number of miles you ride, you could reduce your premium by decreasing your annual mileage.


Modified scooters could effect your premium. If keeping the cost of your premium down is important, riding a standard scooter is the better option. If you have made any modifications it is important to inform your provider.

Ride solo

You could reduce your annual premium by always riding your scooter alone. Remember that it’s against the law to carry a passenger on your scooter without appropriate cover.

Multi riders

Some insurers have special offers for multi-rider policies, but much will depend on who the other named riders are. Adding an older rider with no previous motoring convictions will cost less than insuring a younger rider with a poor riding history, so think carefully about who you choose to add to your policy .

Weigh up all the costs before buying

Knowing your yearly cost is likely to help you decide the scooter or moped you buy. 50cc Scooter Insurance and 125cc Scooter Insurance will be cheaper than more powerful models. There are other factors that determine how much your cover will cost. It’s important to always provide honest, accurate and up to date information when you complete your online application. If you supply inaccurate information it could void your policy.

Name your scooter, retrieve your quote

If you’re planning to buy Vespa Insurance, Piaggio Insurance, Peugeot Scooter Insurance, or any other make, you want to be sure you’ve got the right policy in place. With Scoot Scoot you can do just that, so whether you’re the proud new owner of a twist-and-go 50cc model, a 125cc run-around, or a full accessorised classic model, you’ll be able to create the kind of cover that best matches your usage by using our online tool. Some of the benefits to look out for include:

  • Savings for riders with zero no claims bonus
  • Special policies for multi riders

Once you’ve entered all the relevant information, just click to retrieve your quote.